Layout suggestions (Arpeggios always visible)

What is Arkos Tracker? Forums Arkos Tracker forum Feature requests Layout suggestions (Arpeggios always visible)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lee Bee
    Participant

Sorry to post so many suggestions all at once! I’m just getting these off my chest, all at once. I will probably not have any more for a while!

Here are 3 suggestions:

1. Make the list of arpeggios always visible – just like the instruments. This would be really helpful for quick reference, so you can always see what arpeggio number you need.

2. The 3 Buttons to switch between Pattern / Instrument / Expression – move them directly onto the central area. This makes the controls more direct and more intuitive.

3. Perhaps remove the “Expression” button, since you can just click on the list of arpeggios to edit one of them.

Here are some images of how it could look:

First, how it looks now, for comparison

New pattern view

New instrument view

New arpeggio view

Just a humble suggestion of course!

Lee Bee
    Participant

The above images, I gave them titles but the titles haven’t appeared. The first one is how it currently looks, just for comparison.

Targhan
    Keymaster

I love mockups :). There suggestions aren’t bad, but I’m not sure about them. I’m afraid it will get the screen too crowded with the two vertical panes. A lot of people compose with a small screen. If you watch the video of the first version of AT2, the Arp/Pitch expressions were always visible. This took room where most of the time, it wasn’t useful.
    In the next-next version, the Linker will be much smaller, so maybe it could fit vertically (see the Renoise track to see what I mean). Maybe we could have a switch between Instruments/Linker/Arpeggios/Pitches…

But yes, I’m all for simplification! Thanks for your inputs.

Lee Bee
    Participant

OK, it’s your call. I would LOVE to have the appeggios constantly on-screen.

But if you could put tabs at the top of the instruments list, to show either instruments or arpeggios – that would be great.

As for the screen being too crowded… it’s you call, but I use quite a low resolution compared to most people. The average resolution is 1920×1080 but I only have 1440×900. Also, my idea was that the arpeggios list would be stretchable, like the instruments list.

In the next-next version, the Linker will be much smaller, so maybe it could fit vertically (see the Renoise track to see what I mean).

I use Renoise and one of the things I hate about it is the vertical pattern editor. I just hate vertical pattern editors! LOL That’s a little feedback for you LOL

Targhan
    Keymaster

I think I might actually like the Expressions (Arp/Pitch) always visible, when the Linker is overhauled is takes less vertical space.

Ideas:
    – If there is an arp/pitch list on a right panel:
    – Maybe cut half vertically, with arps at the top and pitches at the bottom? There would be no need to have a switch. And you could use a handle to make room for either of them. The 4 icons would be on both vertical panes.
    – I could put back the Arpeggio/Pitch editor, maybe between the two left/right panes, and below the Pattern/Instrument editor? Once again, with a handle to make room. However, the only way to switch between Arp/pitch would be double click on an Arp/Pitch on the right. I don’t know if it would be great.

– Or, no right panel. But on the left panel, we could switch between Instrument/Arp/Pitch. But I think it’s always important to have the instrument list, so I don’t know if it’s a good idea.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.