Instrument mute & side-chain compression!

What is Arkos Tracker? Forums Arkos Tracker forum Feature requests Instrument mute & side-chain compression!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rhino
    Participant

Apologies if this has already been suggested (or even implemented)…

Naturally, we can mute / sole channels to isolate sounds. But for channels where you have multiple instruments contained (for example the drums and bass channel), it would handy to be able to listen to just the bass or just the kick, say.

Some way to implement this might be in the instrument list, a mute/solo box next to the colour of the instrument maybe.

Another (fairly wild) feature I thought might be pretty cool would be to mimic side-chain compression using a pattern command. For example, you could use a pattern command along with the kick drum, and then this would automatically lower the volume of all other channels for a time/volume percentage value specified on the command.

Targhan
    Keymaster

I already thought of the muto/solo per instrument… But it is clumsy to me, because let’s pretend you don’t hear the other notes of the other instrument. You will still hear stand-alone effects that were NOT meant for the soloed instrument. So, it’s just gonna be a big mess. Unless you wanted the soloed instrument to be cut whenever a muted instrument came?

As for the side-chain compression, it’s wild indeed :). Once again, it would only be useful in a few use-cases. I think it’s better if you change the volume by yourself, plus you’ll have more control!

Rhino
    Participant

Yes, I was assuming the only way you could implement the sole instrument would be to cut it when a muted instrument played. That’s the way that would make the most sense, otherwise you’d be hearing stuff that would never play under normal circumstances.

If it was to work so that you would pretend the muted notes weren’t there at all, then it would operate a bit like, say in Ableton Live where you press ‘0’ on a note to grey it out. So you’re pretending it’s not there, but you can easily get it back if you need to. I think the first way would be more useful.

Targhan
    Keymaster

In that case, this is not a bad idea. I’ll add it to the (already huge) TODO list :).

Rhino
    Participant

🙂 Epic

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.