SND/SNDH file support (MaxYMiser, Atari ST)

What is Arkos Tracker? Forums Arkos Tracker forum Feature requests SND/SNDH file support (MaxYMiser, Atari ST)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    OverlordMRK
    Participant

Hi there! This is nice software and coming along really well. I was wondering, when will there be support for Atari ST YM2149 formats like SND/SNDH for MaxYMiser, or older ABK format perhaps? Or have I completely missed something? I help run a STOS facebook group, and I think this software would be another good tool for STOS Basic users to create their music with, then import into STOS for use with their games or demos if they wanted to. Also demos, etc. in 68k assembly obviously.

Targhan
    Keymaster

Hi! It is not on the TODO list because no-one ever asked me do. However, do you want an export to SND/SNDH/ABK (never heard of the latter), or an import to AT2? However, ggn has created a very efficient 68000 player, so why not use it instead?

OverlordMRK
    Participant

Export to SND/SNDH file format for Atari ST. That would be very handy for Atari ST users, so they can load the SND/SNDH into a player or implement it into a game, like in the case of STOS Basic I would attempt to load it in using a custom sound BIN I have been given by another user, including a few additional commands to set it up.

Targhan
    Keymaster

Then what about using the 68000 AKY player of AT2? Shouldn’t it work?

OverlordMRK
    Participant

But not if you want to play back an SNDH within a compiled STOS game? I’m talking about being able to write a tune with AT2, then export to SNDH so it can be loaded in as a memory bank and called within STOS, which can then play as a background tune in a game I would be writing.

Otherwise I may just stick to learning MaxYMiser for the ST, which saves off SNDH files, I can connect up a MIDI keyboard to my STE and record tunes with it that way. I just thought it would have been quite good to try Arkos Tracker 2 to compose a tune with, export to SNDH so then it can be played back on various levels, etc. within any games I write, or demos etc. It just seems limited that Argos doesn’t have that kind of support for the Atari ST platform, from my point of view anyway.

Targhan
    Keymaster

I’m sorry, I don’t understand. There IS a 68000 player, that gng coded. Simply compose a song in AT2 and export it to AKY (one of the various format I invented for AT2). The 68000 player reads AKY file, which you can obviously play within any Atari ST production. The latest player is here:
    https://github.com/ggnkua/Arkos-Tracker-2-ST

Now I don’t know how to include the 68000 player to STOS, maybe we can ask on the atari-forum?

OverlordMRK
    Participant

Just had a read through the link you gave there, yes I see what you mean now. There’s a BAT file there too that can be ran to output an SNDH file, sorry I didn’t realise they had done that too. So I think there’s enough here to experiment with. I can compose something simple in Arkos, export it to AKY, then convert to SNDH with the utility on that page.

Playback within a compiled STOS game should be possible with a playback routine and sound BIN I was given by another user a month or two back. As long as I don’t try to do anything too fancy with any SID events, it should work. There are a couple of people I know of who might be able to work out how to implement the aky player routine itself within STOS as an extension (but that would be a long term project). Thanks for your help! 🙂

rickymartin
    Participant

I’d like to chime in that importing Maxymiser songs would be nice. 🙂

Targhan
    Keymaster

So your request is different, as you want to IMPORT a Maxymiser song. This may be doable, but I can not find the MYS/MYV format description. May be I can ask Gwem. But don’t expect AT2 to handle SID, this is not really on the road map…

Targhan
    Keymaster

Ok, I have the MYS/MYV format specification. Now the question is, would the import be useful to more than one person? 🙂

eric
    Participant

> Ok, I have the MYS/MYV format specification.

Lucky you! 😉

> Now the question is, would the import be useful to more than one person? 🙂

Yes, absolutely!

garvalf
    Participant

I suppose it would be a nice feature, even without the specific effects like sid, just the notes (and basic registers support)

Targhan
    Keymaster

It’s in my TODO list, but low priority :).

thegeps
    Participant

Hi Thargan, any progress on import snd/sndh files (and maybe ym too)? It could be useful to export them as arkos tracker format and reuse songs on z80 home computers (I’m interested)

Targhan
    Keymaster

Hi, sorry, no progress for the moment. Due to some stuff going on in my life, my CPC projects have been put on hold, for an undetermined duration.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.