MIDI import

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    robpearmain
    Participant

It would be great if I could write a 3 channel piano track in logic, save the MIDI and then import in to Arkos Tracker

Targhan
    Keymaster

Well, you’re in luck, the next version already has Midi import :). You can even write in more than 3 channel and decide how to mix the tracks into each other (like in the MOD import). If you have a tune ready, could you PM it to me so that I can test your song? I tested with many MIDI files, but the more the better.

e-dredon
    Participant

Hello. Arkos Tracker really looks a fantactic tool. I’m starting to play around with it. I’d like to contribute to the NewZealandStory CPC remake project. I’ve already successfully converted the original arcade VGM rip to midifiles. The import feature would save me some time so i can focus on the instruments. Your latest news says you’ve added midi import/midi in support to the V2.0.0a5 release. I might have missed something. Where is the import menu please ?

e-dredon
    Participant

OK. I didn’t find anything in the Manual/MIDI section. You just need to open a song then set a *.mid wildcard to the dialogbox. The Import dosn’t work with the midifile generated by vgm2mid (version 2013-09-09). The channels section is empty. So I imported it with FL-Studio and exported again to a new midifile. Everything is assigned to midi chnls 1-3 (no drum track). This time Arkos tracker is able to import the file. But Whatever PPQ I select the speed is unacurate. The best result i had so far is with PPQ set to 12. But the rythm seems to be a bit choppy. Any help would be gratly appreciated.

Targhan
    Keymaster

Hi,

As you’ve noticed, I forgot the “*.mid” in the File Browser, this will be corrected in the next version (that’s because I’m used to drag’n’drop filed into AT2!).

Can you send me both of the files (the generated by vgm2mid and the FL Studio). However, please check the midi page Manual > Import > Midi webpage, it explains how it works. You MUST have one note per track at the same time, and export in Midi version 1. But PM me the files (check the contact page for the email), I’ll find out what is wrong.

e-dredon
    Participant

Holà Julian. I just saw your PM. I’m visually impaired and for some reason it pops only now on my GMAIL. Please accept my sincere apologize for this insanely late answer. I’m actually abroad for a few days more. I’ll send the midifiles ASAP when i’m going home. The problem is the miditype indeed. I’ve found a midifile converter that can change the midi type. Anyway it came out that the midi import was consuming so much time. You should add options to define the default pattern lenght and start row. It took me some time to get a descent understanding of how Arkos Tracker 2 works. So i kept quiet and did a lot of experiment to see what we can get out of the AY-3-8910 used on the CPC. It’s a bit off topic here, but thanks also for adding the colors on the instruments. It’s really a great feature for me 😉

Here is the very first song I made with Arkos Tracker 2 using the midifile import

And Here is the actual main theme for the CPC 128k classic version. I’m now working on the CPC+ version of the main theme.

Please feel free to tell me what you think about it.

There are lots of things i’d like to discuss later on other threads. I’ll try to be more active here.

Best regards,

Targhan
    Keymaster

Anyway it came out that the midi import was consuming so much time.

Actually, it is not the midi import itself (it is very fast), but the song optimization, which is abnormally slow. I had no time to check it out, and it is not critical, so… I’ll try to check it though.

About your import, you really use a too fast speed, it prevents you from reading the score. Use a higher PPQ (*2), and add Arpeggios for note trebles if needed, but you must be able to understand what it going on. It is both inefficient in term of memory and usability to work with too fast patterns! But it’s just my opinion :).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.