midi export

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    garvalf
    Participant

hello,

do you think it would be possible to add midi export to Arkos Tracker? The import is working very well, and a midi export, even very simple, would be very useful!

Admin
    Keymaster

You’d have to convince me it would be useful indeed :).
    It may be not as handy as you’d think. How to translate an instrument into a midi instrument? How to know that a “bass” instrument in AT2 must be mapped into Midi Instrument 12 or 46?
    What about drums?

What about arpeggios and effects?

I believe the output song would be so off that working on the output would take actually longer than creating a real MIDI file, using MIDI idioms and features.

garvalf
    Participant

The instruments are not the problem, it’s easy to reassign instruments using a midi sequencer. It would be probably fair to export everything to midi instrument 80 (square).

Arp shouldn’t be exported as individual notes. There are some ym to midi converters, and it’s quite a p.i.t.a. that arps are as such, but since it’s converted from ym registers, it wouldn’t be possible otherwise.

The same for drums. It would be impossible anyway to sound like AY drums, so people could reassign the correct instrument (or VST) in a DAW.

About the usefulness, I often remix some tunes made in tracker, so a midi exporter would be great!

It looks like Jeroen Tel is doing the same:

The most tedious part is not remixing and selecting new instruments, it’s putting two trackers side by side and visually copying from one to the other.

Btw, the C64 chiptune tracker SidWizard has midi exporter/importer, so it would mean being able to create a tune in Arkos and convert the music to C64 as well, or the opposite!

Admin
    Keymaster

You’re wrong about the export being made from the YM! If doing so, all the tempo and measure system would be lost. The export must be done from the real notes from the song.

I’m still not convinced it would benefit more than one person, so find more people and I’ll do it :).

garvalf
    Participant

sure, ym midi exports are quite terrible and almost not usable!

For the possible users, well, this thread is open, so we’ll see if more people would find this usable! There were a few requests for the Midi importer after all…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.