Exported binary files are in ASCII format on CPC

What is Arkos Tracker? Forums Arkos Tracker forum General discussion Exported binary files are in ASCII format on CPC

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    TrebleAlex
    Participant

Hi there! 🙂

I’ve got a huge problem, when I follow your instructions for exporting the songs in Z80-binary format. Also, when I export the files to .asm and later assemble it with rasm. All seems to be fine and I get *.bin files.

But when I copy them to my CPC or in an Emulator like Winape, this *.bin file on the CPC is always in headerless ASCII-Format (Filetype 16). So I am unable to load it.

I have tried to write a BASIC-Program to convert it and poke it to the right destination, but that doesn’t work.

What can I do, that the bin files are real binary files on the CPC?

Best Regards,

Alex

Targhan
    Keymaster

Hi,

This is totally normal that AT2 generates headerless files. Remember that most of us will include it in sources, as binary or not. Plus, AT2 being cross-platform, headers are different from a machine to another.

What you must do is use a software to add a header. You can use Hideur Makeur from Downwater (there is a GitHub somewhere, quite well hidden, but I can’t find it right now). Or there seems to be AddHead:
    https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/applications/addhead/msg187477/?topicseen#msg187477
    I never used it, but it should do the trick.

You can also use ManageDsk from Demoniak. Create a DSK, drag’n’drop the file inside, it will ask how to import it.

Another possibility is to open the Monitor in Winape, and load the file directly in memory, then save it again with the Basic command (but it is probably faster to use ManageDsk!).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.