Amstrad CPC examples

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    eric_boulat
    Participant

Hello,
    I am a quite bad programmer concerning Z80 assembly language. I am making an adventure game. A friend of mine will make me a music with Arkos Tracker and I want to play it, in a amstrad CPC basic program. The example you give in the documentation explains how to get rid of the amstrad system, and to load very low in the memory, the assembly routine and the music. In fact I didn’t understand this documentation. Do you have any amstrad CPC dsk files to show it more directly ?

In fact, my goal is to make a good introduction program for the game I am programming and my game uses mostly locomotive basic.

So I wanted to know if it is possible to play the music produced by arkos tracker with the locomotive basic still in memory. Or else, is it possible to play the music in a program that will restore the system after playing it and launch the basic program for my game ?

Ps : you can answer me in french if you want, english is not my mother tongue sacrebleu 😉

Targhan
    Keymaster

Hi,

Good suggestion. I’ve just made a tutorial about that:

Basic (CPC) integration

Please tell me if it works fine for you. A “Basic_CPC.asm” is mentioned but it will only be included in the next release. The source code is given in the tutorial.

eric_boulat
    Participant

Thanks Targhan,
    I’ll try that as soon as possible, if I don’t melt during this heat wave ! 😉

Regards,
    Eric

eric_boulat
    Participant

I’ve tried this example with the music “The last V8” included in Arkos Tracker 2.
    I used WinApe and Caprice32, Retro Virtual Machine and Sugar box with no luck.

I only got a note at the beginning and a few seconds later a low pitched sound and then nothing.

I will try another song to see if it’s only this one. I can’t try on a real CPC by now but nevertheless it would be annoying if only the people with a real CPC can enjoy it !

Regards.

eric_boulat
    Participant

Bingo !!! With a 3 voices song (Targhan – A Harmless Grenade) it works just fine !!
    You’re great !

Targhan
    Keymaster

Yes, The Last V8 is a 9-channel songs, so it has no reason to work :).
    Glad it worked for you.

znanarz
    Participant

Very usefull also for fast test on real CPC or emulator.
    At first RASM couldn’t compile the BIN file, I had to remove org 16384 in the AKG source. I would like to have it also for the ZX spectrum +2 =]
    Ps: The Intellivision have also the GI AY-3-8914
    Arkos is the best chiptracker ever! So much joy with it.

Targhan
    Keymaster

Thanks!

Why Rasm didn’t compile? I tested the prog as-is, and it works fine. Ah, maybe you exported the song with an address, which overlapped the snippet from the tutorial. I should add something about that in the tutorial.

> I would like to have it also for the ZX spectrum +2 =]
    You mean a prog to load it from Basic? Well, I don’t know anything about ZX Spectrum Basic sadly, but if you find someone to create such snippet, I will glady integrate it :).

znanarz
    Participant

I can make a screenshot of the AKG Export window (or any) if you want. Address is 4000. I just tried it again with your Hocus pocus tune (dat intro!) and there’s still that “org 16384” line

`; Hocus Pocus, AKG format, v1.0.

; Generated by Arkos Tracker 2.

org 16384

HocusPocus_Start
    HocusPocus_DisarkByteRegionStart0
    db “AT20”
    HocusPocus_DisarkPointerRegionStart1

znanarz
    Participant

I hoped somebody will add that snippet for ZX 😉 or a player, at least to test the sound on real harware. =]

znanarz
    Participant

*somebody else

znanarz
    Participant

It could be my pc that is a mess, it under win 7 64. Anyway it’s an easy fix, just remove the line.

Targhan
    Keymaster

No, this line is added because you asked the export to.
    In AT2, File > Export > Export to AKG.
    In the new window, at the bottom, there is “Encode to address”. If ticked, an ORG is generated. So untick it and all will be fine.

>I hoped somebody will add that snippet for ZX 😉 or a player, at least to test the sound on real harware.

The testers are made for that, they work perfectly, I tested all of them. Now there is no Basic tester, that’s all. But on MSX, it’s very easy. Check the MSX tester, it is explained. The generated file can be loaded with the BLOAD”file”,R command.

znanarz
    Participant

Indeed. Thank you. Now I also see that I have been fooled by org 16384 which is like org &4000 and not org 4000.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.