Adapting psg out to write SN76489 registers

What is Arkos Tracker? Forums Arkos Tracker forum Feature requests Adapting psg out to write SN76489 registers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    thegeps
    Participant

I know tha tracker_player are dedicated to our beloved AY PSG, but actually I’ve ported one of my games (after kindly request) to SEGA SG-1000 console. Ecvept the audio part, of course.
    But I’m pretty confident that a simple “translation” code to write on SN76489 psg is possible due to recent porting on SEGA Master System: a guy hacked my rom adding it to a modified C-Bios

Here:
    https://taylorsgames.file-hunter.com/Earth%20Attack%20(Joy%20Soft)%20(KR).zip

Targhan
    Keymaster

Wouldn’t it be better to use a specialized software for that (I guess Deflemask does that)? Ever we could send approximate values, AT2 wouldn’t use the full potential of the chip (the noise has a specific channel for example).

Did you try software that are made for the SN?

thegeps
    Participant

Nope, didn’t try. I have the song already done on arkos tracker, and the song change speed thanks to your cool code… it is pretty good as is. Doesn’t matter if a channel would be lost. As I said someone has ported yet it ro sega master system by adapting C-bios (msx free bios for emulators’ usage) and calls system routines to write registers that call specific routines he has ripped from other sms games (he isn’t a proper coder, but he is only 13 old,so he did enough using a hex editor… but doing it this way there is no source to rearrange else I would done it myself)

Targhan
    Keymaster

My point is: it’s probably better to use the right tools for the right PSG. Ok, the players could be modified to sent the values to the SN registers, but it wouldn’t sound the same as the song you heard in AT2. And it wouldn’t exploit the full potential of the SN, because AT2 isn’t tailored to it.

I *think* there are simply better tools for the SN than AT2… But correct me if I’m wrong :).

thegeps
    Participant

I agree. I’m lazy, this is the truth XD
    I’ll try deflemask: I hope it has a replayer too and that my musician has the will to use it and do again same work XD

thegeps
    Participant

Btw the game is a Space Invaders clone. If you are curious about it you can tey it online and listen how sounds (again, thx for arkos tracker)

https://homebrew.file-hunter.com/index.php?id=earthattack

Targhan
    Keymaster

Looks and sounds fun, well done :).
    I understand your need if you want to convert quickly an AKS song into SN, but you should really convert it “by hand” using the right tool. Of course, I can’t promise the other software are as powerful as AT2 :)… Or maybe they’ll be way better.

thegeps
    Participant

AT2 is the top. My musician loves it. And your support means a lot to you users. You’ve solved my issues everytime!
    I took a look on deflemask. It hasn’t a z80 asm player ready to use, so I’ll try to get those adapting routines from c-bios sms porting (running it into blueMSX emulator) and starting the debugger to see the code and its calls

Targhan
    Keymaster

Maybe another software could work?
    Anyway, if you manage to do something, maybe we could include that to the players.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.